The smallest letter, the least stroke of a pen...

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

It's About Respect!

A pet peeve of mine has risen to the surface lately. How many times have you heard someone on TV or in life around you complain about being called 'maam'? I know, for some reason people equate that with age, feeling old. But, that really shouldn't be the case. I think using the term 'maam' is showing respect. On the one hand, it is proof that I have earned that respect, through the passage of years or otherwise. On the other hand, maybe you've simply encountered a person who is, brace yourself here, POLITE! A well-mannered person should be ENCOURAGED to show respect, not discouraged because of a petty ego-induced self-delusion of youth. There are simply not enough out there. Look at the bulk of todays youth. Self-indulgent, disrespectful, and irresponsible teens lead to self-indulgent, disrespectful, irresponsible parents who complete the circle and teach their children to be the same.

For instance, when I was a child, my parents taught me how to answer the phone. Does that sound weird? We learned how to speak clearly and politely, how to greet the person, and identify ourselves. We knew how to take a message. We also knew what NOT to say, 'my mom's in the shower!' LOL. Well, as a result, people who called our house understood what we said, and knew their message would reach the right person. As an teenager and young adult I have been hired for good jobs based on my phone skills. Another result is, now my husband and I teach our children the same. I can't count how many times we and our children have been complemented about that. Dean and I recently discussed how it's a shame that this stands out so much. Is it really so hard? So, in closing I'd like to say, you can call me 'maam' anytime you want to. I don't care how old I am, I'm honored to be treated with respect by you or anyone else of any age!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though our kids tend to say something like, "Shussr Residence" It still gets the point across.

- Dean

5:37 PM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

so true! At the ripe old age of 28, I love being called maam!

8:49 AM

 
Blogger Cindy Lee said...

AMEN, Sista!

7:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree! If kids today were raise the way we were, the world would be better off.

8:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home