The smallest letter, the least stroke of a pen...

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Oh, Grow Up!

I read Chris Sligh’s blog. While I don’t know him personally, he has performed at our church a couple times and so I’ve followed his progress on American Idol with interest. When I found his blog, I was impressed that he basically wears his heart and his faith on his sleeve. He tells it like it is and is pretty personal. I don’t know how long that will last now that he’s famous. He gets a lot of grief on his blog now. Anyway, I came across an entry that sounded familiar. This is what Chris Bligh had to say (before American Idol):

……I guess I'm just trying to figure out when I'm going to grow up. I still find so much joy in the things that make me a kid, and at the same time find myself frustrated by the fact that I find joy in those things. I find myself still looking to people who are a few years older than me and always looking to them as the "adults" in my life. I always think that by the time I get to where they are, I will feel like an adult. But every new year brings a disappointment with where I am in life.And on top of it all, the thing that makes me feel most like a child is the thing that I love the most: music. I know that eventually I'll have to give up music, if I haven't found some success by some time in my life, but I still have this silly optimism and the ability to daydream while my head tells me that pessimism is the adult response to my current status in the music industry……
……My room is still messy. My life is in shambles. But somehow I'm happy. Sure there is some disappointment and there are some regrets, but I find myself happy with the fact that I still love life, I have a beautiful wife who loves me, I have a church of people who love me and I love in return; and I get to do something that makes me feel like a kid. So the question remains: when do we grow up?

I don’t mean for this post to be particularly deep, but I found his statement interesting. I’m 38, have been married for 17 years, have three kids, and own a house. Yet I often wonder when I’m going to ‘grow up’. Does everyone feel this way? Just curious.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ona daily basis!
amy

6:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home