The smallest letter, the least stroke of a pen...

Friday, August 10, 2007

It Starts

I've ranted a few times about infuriating situations I've dealt with in the public school system. I've had a nice break for the summer, but now it begins again.

I’m at home going through my papers figuring out what I have to do to get my daughter set for sixth grade. I have come to a paper that I have to fill out in the event we cannot pick her up from school on time due to an emergency. Ok, everything seems fine, we will probably not need to use this, but it’s nice to have it as a back up. Then I come to the ‘Agreement and Full Release of Liability’ that they want me to sign. It says:

“In consideration of being allowed to participate in the activities and programs of -------after-school program and in consideration of being allowed to use the facilities and equipment of ---- Middle School, for myself as the parent of the below named child, and on behalf of all heirs…(etc.)…do hereby forever release and discharge -------Middle School, its officers, agents, employees…..(etc.)….from and against any and all claims, responsibilities or liabilities for any accident, injury, loss of any kind, and/or damages to me or my property, including those caused by the passive or active negligent acts and/or omissions of ------Middle School, its officers, agents, employees…..(etc.)….including any ancillary events associated with such activites and programs………and the use of any of the facilities, equipment or machinery of --------Middle School, including any obvious, hidden or latent defects therein."

So, they can basically hire someone to sit in a corner and read a book or talk on a cell phone while my child is playing on faulty equipment and breaks a leg and that’s ok? Would you sign this?

3 Comments:

Blogger D's Paper Studio said...

I don't know how a school can legally make you sign such a lame document. Of course, while your child is in their care they are responsible for her. Good Grief! It's basically saying if someone hurts her or sexually assults her and they are an employee you can not hold them responsible?! Get real people.

I read the article this morning. That's okay because a local college here gives students credit for just showing up in class...grades do not matter their attendance matters. You know what happens when you get me started.

3:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. They are completely giving up any responsibility for the children. Alyssa might as well walk to the mall and wait for you there, as far as they are concerned. They should be signing away their lives to you for the privilege of watching over your child! So what do they do if you don't sign it? Leave her unattended on the steps? And what would be the difference...? Love ya, Mom

4:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say cross out the stuff you don't like, then sign. No on will notice what you have crossed out an initialed. In the unfortunate happenstance of an accident, they will not be able to use the document. Of course, my lawyer friends say that waivers of this sort are realy very hard to enforce.... so

- Dean

8:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home